‘Tis the season to be jolly… and stuff your face! Ahh, I love Christmas time.
It’s cold out but the fire’s lit and the fluffy socks are keeping your toes nicely toasty. It’s dark early but you can light up the Christmas tree and everything just feels so cosy.
Not to mention all the parties, catching up with friends and family, drinking, eating and present swapping! It’s a magical time of year!
This year I wanted to try something a little different with a veggie stuffing and what could scream CHRISTMAS more than Chestnuts and Clementines?!
What you’ll need:
- 400g chestnuts
- Zest of 2 clementines
- A handful of chia seeds
- A handful of flax seeds
- 50g butter
- 1 diced onion
- 300g breadcrumb stuffing
- 5g parsley
- 5g dill
- 1 egg, whisked
- Score each chestnut with a knife through the top shell and inner skin. Careful not to cut yourself.
- Add chestnuts to a pot, add water and bring to boil for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain water and move chestnuts to a lined oven tray. Place in the oven at 190F for about 30 minutes.
- Once cooked remove from oven and peel while still hot (it’s easier to get the shell and skin off leaving you with a clean intact chestnut).
- Break chestnuts apart so you have small chunks, rather than full chestnuts.
- Heat butter in a frying pan, add in chestnuts, onion, chia seeds and flax seeds and fry until browned.
- Transfer mix from frying pan into a mixing bowl. Add in the breadcrumb mix, parsley, dill and zest, then mix together.
- Add in the whisked egg while mixing the ingredients. Keep mixing until the stuffing becomes firm enough to roll in your hands.
- Place some tin foil on a clean surface and lift the stuffing from the bowl onto the tin foil then roll into a log.
- Wrap the stuffing log in the foil (almost like a cracker) and place onto a baking tray and into the oven for approx 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the tin foil and return to the oven for about 15 minutes to allow the stuffing to brown on the outside.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for a few minutes before plating up.